Tuesday 7 February 2012

London Calling

The first (and final) destination on my trip was London England, a place that I have always wanted to visit. It was awesome to explore London Ontario's namesake and I could definitely see the original London's impact on Ontario's version. For example, I recognized many London Ontario street names copied from London UK such as Piccadilly, Oxford, and Regent to name a few.

Here is a list of 3 things that I did and saw during my first couple days in London. I will not post everything at once because that would be photo overload (if that's even possible!) My four days spent in London was definitely not enough time to see and do everything, which is why I am very excited to be visiting London again in early August! 

1. Billy Elliot 
 On our first night in London Lauren and I saw the musical "Billy Elliot". It was a musical full of British humour (which I love), amazing dancing by people of all ages, and of course British accents! Since photography was not permitted in the theatre I sadly don't have any videos or photographs of the show, but here's a youtube link to a song that I really liked.

It's called "Electricity". When this song was being sung it was the many moments where my eyes were glued to the stage. 



2. Buckingham Palace

A trip to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guards was necessary. There was a band playing theme songs from British pop culture (Harry Potter and James Bond). Which reminded me once again of the fact that Britain is very rich in culture and history!

{a large crowd awaiting the changing of the guards}

{Victoria Memorial}

{and then the sun made an appearance}

{Buckingham Palace}

{the marching guards}

{Lauren and I in front of the Victoria Memorial}

{the wonderful Buckingham Palace band}


3. The Tower of London 

A site as iconic as the Tower of London had to be visited. The cloudiness of the day was perfect for the eerie setting where gruesome things once occurred. 

{the tower of London featuring the iconic London Underground sign}

{the monogramed fence}

{tour guide giving a brief history of the Tower of London}

{one of the towers}

{captures the eerie feeling of site}

{a view of the Tower Bridge}

{sinister raven}

{a view out a window}
More photos to come!

1 comment: