Wednesday 7 March 2012

Berlin: City of Smoke

To keep true to my Jason Lutes-themed post titles, I aptly named my second Berlin installment after his sequel "Berlin City of Smoke".

Just as Berlin's a city of stones, it's also a city of smoke. As Canadians, we have grown accustomed to strict rules regarding smoking: no smoking in restaurants, bars, or clubs - those who disregard the rules are in big trouble. However, in Europe and in Berlin for that matter, strict smoking adherences don't exist. I found that after spending several nights in Berlin bars not only did my hair smell of smoke, but my entire outfit! When I returned to Copenhagen I discovered that the contents of my suitcase smelt like they had been sitting in a chimney.

Anyways, this post is about the 'new' Berlin, the Berlin that's young and stays up all night in smokey bars. The Berlin that's colourful, youthful, and fun - a trailblazer who is trying to discover its identity in an ever changing environment.

The following pictures were taken during a walking tour that my friends and I went on called the "alternative Berlin" tour. On our tour we were shown Berlin's hidden side that not all tourists get to see including: concealed courtyards, a glimpse into the reggae/rasta scene, and High End 54 - an open minded contemporary art gallery.

23

{this is Lucy. She is a character created by a graffiti artist. Unfortunately her main thrill in life is torturing her cat}

{the entrance to a hidden shop}

{this graffiti artists is called '6'. He works 6 hours/day, 6 hours a week painting '6's anywhere he likes}

{woman forming a heart with her hands?}

{In Berlin, this is how music is labeled}

{love each other}

{High end 54: a very interesting contemporary art gallery}


{levels}

{love locks in High End 54}

{hello sadness}

{mother, should I trust the government}

{mural in a rasta courtyard}

{the man who built this house just decided to build it in this location. When in trouble with the authorities, he cemented  his belongings to the ground so they wouldn't be able to take them away. Note: the cemented table.}


When I was in the rasta/reggae area of Berlin I actually witnessed a graffiti artist at work. I quickly shot a video before I was discovered.


that was a close one!

1 comment:

  1. Your video reminds me of people getting caught doing Ellen's dance dare. YOUTUBE IT!

    ReplyDelete