Monday 23 January 2012

Discovery of the Week: Bryggebroen Love Locks

Like so many other discoveries, this one was stumbled upon when I least expected it.

It was my first Saturday in Copenhagen (and a rainy one too) so Dad and I decided to visit the Fiskertovet mall located close to the campus where I'm taking my Danish Language Course. As we were crossing the bridge from the Amager area of Copenhagen to the mainland, we came across a phenomenon that I had only read about!

The only place where I thought love locks existed was in the famous "City of Love" - Paris. So when I saw hundreds of locks securely attached to the wire Bryggebroen bridge it was unexpected and exciting!

For those of you who haven't heard of love locks before I will briefly explain. Couples write their initials on a padlock, attach it to the bridge, and then throw away the key into the water symbolizing their unbreakable bond. It's a very simple gesture but tells the love stories of couples from all over the world.

{rain-soaked Copenhagen love locks}


{the Bryggebroen bridge - the site of the love locks}


{ a cluster of locks}


{ a close-up of the locks}


Mystery Solved


Remember a previous post where I mentioned a "baby tree"? Well it turns out that like the love locks, I had uncovered a cultural phenomenon (and without even meaning to)! There are several trees in Copenhagen dubbed "pacifier trees". When a Scandinavian child reaches the age of 3 they make a pilgrimage to one of the city's pacifier trees. Their journey to a pacifier tree is a rite of passage that symbolizes a toddler's first conscious decision to grow up. I think this a fabulous idea and there should be pacifier trees in Canada. They double as an art piece as well as a meaningful cultural object.


In Other News

1. I have a week off between my exams for the Danish Language Course and my first day at school, so my friend Lauren and I are going to the UK! Each of us has friends living in the area who we will be meeting up with. We are starting in London where we will stay for a few days before spending time in Scotland. I have never been to the UK before and am really excited. Any suggestions about where to stay, where to eat, or what to see would be greatly appreciated!

2. I finally purchases a bike this Sunday! I bought it off of an Australian exchange student who is done her exchange. It's a little worse for wear but I still really like it. It's in the repair shop right now getting the chain replaced but I will be sure to post pictures of it soon! I rode a bike this weekend and felt like a true Dane. I really love bike riding and am so happy to have a bike of my very own!

3. I have my final exams for my Danish language course this Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday is the written portion and Thursday is the oral portion. I am really nervous for them especially the oral exam since I have never had an oral exam before!

4. In Danish I would say: "Jeg er syg". That means "I am sick" in english. Unfortunately I woke up with a bit of a cold this Sunday which I am hoping only lasts a few days at most. It is impossible to find medicine in Copenhagen! Apparently the Danes have the toughest immune systems.


On another note, I would just like to say that I really appreciate everyone's comments. It's nice to know that people actually read this!

3 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR EXAM :) -Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you had some medicine with you. Get well soon.
    Love, mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. They also removed some "love locks" from a bridge in Toronto.
    m.

    ReplyDelete